Company file errors are not new in QuickBooks, and their recurrence has been a major source of backlogs in the accounting operations of organizations. One such error which has been hampering the users from accessing their company files is QuickBooks error code 6177. This error appears immediately as the user tries to open the file within QuickBooks. Upon the advent of this error, QuickBooks immediately closes down along with an error message which reveals the cause of QuickBooks Error 6177.
The message generally observed is "QuickBooks is trying to open this company file". This article shall take you through the various causes and methods that can fix this Company file error in QuickBooks.
Main causes of QuickBooks Error Code 6177 0
The major sources of this error include:
- Outdated QuickBooks application.
- Damaged company file.
- Corrupted Company file.
- Virus infecting the Company files and leading to corruption.
- Knowingly or unknowingly, the company file or other important QuickBooks files got deleted by the user.
Methods for fixing QuickBooks Error code 6177 0
Perform the solutions given below to fix this error.
Method 1: Resetting Multi-User Mode
Users should reset the Multi-user mode as this can potentially trigger Error 6177. The steps for the same are:
- Run QuickBooks on the server/host system.
- Afterwards, advance to the File menu, and from there, head to Utilities.
- Now, tap on the option to Stop Hosting Multi-User Access.
- Once done with the deactivation of the multi-user mode, run QuickBooks again (in the single user mode) and try to open the same company file which was previously showing up this error.
Method 2: Update QuickBooks desktop
Updating QuickBooks can potentially lead to the resolution of QuickBooks Error 6177 0, since it safeguards the accounting program against variegated technical threats to which the company files are vulnerable.
- To update QuickBooks, first, run QuickBooks, and thereafter, head to the Help tab. From there, the next step requires clicking on the Update QuickBooks Desktop
- Perform the requisite on-screen steps, and subsequently click on the Update Now tab
- Also, ensure a checkmark on the Reset Update box.
- Start the updates by hitting on the Get Updates
- Once all is done, QuickBooks should be restarted, and the updates shall be installed automatically upon providing consent by hitting on the Yes
Fix 3: Change the location of the Company File
The user should copy the company file from its original company file folder, and then paste it to some other location (outside the QuickBooks folder).
Fix 4: Run QuickBooks File Doctor
QuickBooks File Doctor has provided a big respite to accountants by safeguarding QuickBooks company files from a wide range of errors. The tool can also be used to fix the issues that incite Error code 6177 0. The steps for making use of this tool are:
- Initially access the Intuit website and from there download QuickBooks Tool Hub.
- Following that, install the tool and run it.
- Now, browse for the company file within the tool and opt for the problematic company file.
- Upon choosing the file, scan it for technical errors.
- Once done, restart QuickBooks and get access to the company file again. This time round, such error shouldn’t be bothering you.
Through this article, we familiarized readers with the major causes of QuickBooks Error message 6177 and the different workable fixes for this bothersome Company file error. If you are facing any other issues while working with your company file or any other QB issue for that matter, just give our QuickBooks desktop error support team of technical experts a call at the helpline i.e., 1-800-761-1787.